How do we deal with Pirate attacks?

Pirates are pirates. All about making the dough.

Personally I'd deal with pirates in this fashion.

US-Navy-Battleship-2.jpg

Actually Redcell that is not the case. They are in it for the money and nothing else.

my bad
I did not mean that pirates were terrorists just that their mindset is like a terrorist. they both want something, for pirates its money for terrorists its idealogical and to get those things they go to etremes. and we tried to negotiate with the pirates, and like terrorists they didnt listen.and if you look at pirates and terrorists, they are both easily solved by bullets in the head. i just meant they operate in a somewhat similar way and are disposed of in a very similar way:m16shoot: in the head:-P

I completly agree with 13th, and ppl are labeld terrorists too often when they are not. this is not my intention, just pointing out similaritys.

Last edited:
I haven't been keeping up with this thread but somebody mentioned knowing our enemies. Another move by Islamic insurgents nothing more nothing less preying on another poor country. This will be another Pakistan / Afghanistan in a very short time. Not hard to get hungry people with little hope to follow a cause even know there being lead by the nose. The insurgents have a source of funding in Somalia that's for sure and always have.

Quote:
Fighting that has pitted Islamic insurgents against the government and its allies has killed thousands of civilians and sent hundreds of thousands fleeing for their lives in recent years. Somalia has not had a functioning government since 1991, and the U.S. worries that Somalia could be a terrorist breeding ground.
Observers say the Somali insurgents have been boosted recently by up to 400 foreign jihad fighters who are believed to have come from as far away as Afghanistan. Experts have expressed fears that the foreign Islamic militants could use Somalia as a base for terror.
UN: Atrocities in Somalia force 100,000 to flee

Link
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090609/ap_on_re_af/af_somalia

Lots of frigates, lots of small water craft that can be deployed from larger warships and can haul it on the high seas, maybe some helicopters to.

Let the western world and western allies all throw a few sailors into the fight against piracy off Somalia, and in Indonesia. (which is a whole other story)

All can in my opinion be accomplished, with good communication lines of course, but don;t make the mistake of trying to fight an idea,not an enemy, fighting a idea, will seem, well almost impossible.

Pirates are pirates. All about making the dough.

Personally I'd deal with pirates in this fashion.

US-Navy-Battleship-2.jpg

I recommended that but for some reason the Navy wont untie the Wisconsin from Nauticus, and let her do her job, they say she's too old. (and yet a 60 year old man dies in Iraq)

Piracy delcined heavily during the cold war, maybe there is something for us to learn from that period in time.

Let the Saudi Navy alone handel the situation, I hope Royal Saudi Navy has enough guts to throw the pirates out.
The US gathring is marked with suspecion bcz of US expansion policies,
A more wise move will be to form a combine block of yemeni, Saudi, Egyptian and Omani Navy and to patrol the lanes.
PAF_wall_paper.jpg

Piracy delcined heavily during the cold war, maybe there is something for us to learn from that period in time.
During the Cold War countries that were not friendly with the USA or the USSR were very limited on what they could because of retaliation from one of the super powers. A few countries such as Iran, etc. could thumb their nose at one of the super powers and be fairly assured that their will no violent solutions would come to them due to the dispute they have.
The issue of piracy will continue as long as the shipping companies find it cost effective to pay ransoms rather than fighting with foreign navies for the principle being able to sail the seas without harassment.

The fact of the matter is, world navies cannot effectively cover such a vast expanse of the worlds oceans.

A far simpler and cost effective solution as I have stated many times is to employ an armed security team on board. A solution which proved very effective as shown by the owners of the Italian cruise ship, employing an Israeli security team who fought off a pirate attack recently.

The fact of the matter is, world navies cannot effectively cover such a vast expanse of the worlds oceans.

A far simpler and cost effective solution as I have stated many times is to employ an armed security team on board. A solution which proved very effective as shown by the owners of the Italian cruise ship, employing an Israeli security team who fought off a pirate attack recently.

I know a few vets who would jump at that idea (me one), I offered my services in eth begining of t his thread, but so far I have no takers, so I'd have to jump at that chance.

I heard a rumor (untrue) that the somalian gov was allowing people to go on pirate killing cruizes were you can rent guns and stuff, and go mkill pirates for fun.

talk about entrapranuership eh?

Are they going to have the money? Do we get big guns? I'm in, as at least we could sell the boats on to some more pirates and keep ourselves in business.

A couple of GPMG's (good) or a couple of 50 cal Brownings (better), a couple riflemen scattered around the deck, night vision equipment and issue each man with a Colt 45 1911 or Tuppaware Glock model 22 or 23 40 cal S&W for close in work.... Sorted.

A buddy of my son is an engineering cadet officer sailing with South Africa's Merchant Marine. On anti piracy watch at night, all he's given is a torch/flashlight and a radio while the rest of the ship is in lock down.

I suppose thats one way of thinning out crew members.

Last edited:
Let me ask you all, who in here know how the piracy originally started? And its not the answer you all are thinking, the Somali civil war..... If you don't know let me tell you.

Pirates though working with warlords or whoever the case might be in order to get protection inland are originally mainly Somali fishermen. Ever since the collapse of the central government in Somalia in 1991, Somalis have made complaints to the UN, the international court and the respective countries who were sending massive ships to over fish Somali waters illegally; thus, denying Somali fishermen their ability to survive and make money, the other part to the situation is also the illegal dumping of toxic waste of the Somali waters by international companies and countries which effected the health of thousands of Somalis who came in contact with the contaminated waters and fishes. When the international community failed to stop these illegal fisheries and the illegal dumping of toxic waste the fishermen bought arms from warlords and began to hijack international shipping for ransom.

So if you really want to solve the piracy problem in a separate manner from the insurgency inland the world must stop these illegal fisheries and toxic waste dumping.

_40151730_flag203.jpg

"There is no safety in unlimited technological hubris" (McGeorge Bundy)

Back to the blame everyone else game I see?

Well well, at the rate we are sinking pirates nowadays the general concensus is that this particular problem pissing out of Somalia this time around might soon be contained.

If the goverment of Somalia are taking control of their land even better.
If not we will continue to sink pirates untill no one wants to travel that particular part of the sea.

Endgame time IMO.

//KJ.

Back